The founding of Shumaker Industries is one of those all American success stories. Roy Shumaker spent World War II welding in the Baltimore shipyards. After being discharged from the Navy he worked for his stepbrother building underground storage tanks. A friend had some ready-mix concrete drums that needed repaired, but Roy’s stepbrother was not interested in doing this as part of his business, so Roy agreed to do the work on his own time in the evenings or on weekends. After repairing several of these drums over a few years, Roy realized that there might be a market for this service.
In January 1953 Roy and Jean Shumaker took a step of faith, moved to Northumberland, PA and founded Norry Welding Company. Norry Welding Company specialized in rebuilding concrete mixer drums in the Mid Atlantic region and was the first company to specialize in fabricating drums for all makes & models of mixers. In addition to drums, chutes, hoppers, water tanks and other mixer parts were added to the product line.
Roy Shumaker retired in 1979 and his son, Doug, became president of Norry Welding. In 1989 Doug decided to change the company name to Shumaker Industries to recognize the desire of the Shumaker family to expand the business. As the dream continued, the company expanded by opening a branch in Greenville, South Carolina to serve the southeastern region of the United States and eventually diversified into producing all new mixer drums.
Today, Brett Shumaker is the third generation owner of the business and has had the challenge and privilege of leading the companies diversification. Manufacturing capabilities now include replacement central mix drums, blades and silos. Other highly innovative products include the completely automated Load and Go Ready Mix Truck Wash® system and the RotaBelt line of mixer mounted conveyors.